The Marjorie Spevak Music Scholarship was established by Civic Music Association to honor Marjorie Shloss Spevak. Marjorie is a long-time supporter of Civic Music, serving many years on its Board of Directors and contributing generously of her time and financial resources to ensure its success. Marjorie has a passion for education, having served for fifteen years on the Des Moines Public School Board and championing fine arts education in the schools. It is fitting that Civic Music Association, along with the Marjorie Spevak Endowment Fund established by her children, annually award two $500 scholarships in her honor to two students – one attending middle school and one attending high school – wishing to further pursue the study of music.
The scholarship may be used toward expenses necessary for the student to advance his or her music study, including but not limited to: music lessons, instrument rental or purchase, or a summer music camp or program.
To be eligible for consideration for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a resident of Iowa
- Be a student in an Iowa middle school or high school during the 2019-2020 school year
- Be currently studying a musical instrument or voice
Application Process and Deadline
The following application materials are required:
- Completed application form (click “Application Form” tab above to complete and submit).
- A completed recommendation from your music teacher (send your teacher to this web page and ask him/her to complete and submit by clicking “Recommendation Form” tab above).
- A completed recommendation from another non-related adult, i.e. teacher, employer, religious leader or other adult who has knowledge of your character (using the same “Recommendation Form” as above).
All application forms can be found at: https://civicmusic.org/studio/scholarship-application.
All application materials must be received by March 15, 2019 to be considered.
Civic Music Association’s Scholarship Selection Committee will select scholarship winners based on the application and recommendations provided.
All scholarship applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision by April 19, 2019.
Peter Stevenson, Executive Director
Civic Music Association
900 Mulberry Street, Suite 203
Des Moines, Iowa 50309