Executive Director – Civic Music Association
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director of Civic Music Association (CMA) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for CMA’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. The Civic Music Association exists to engage, enrich and educate the central Iowa community through provocative, world-class musical performances by legends and rising stars.
Leadership & Management:
- Lead the CMA Programming Committee to select and book performances presented by the organization. This includes negotiating contracts, securing hospitality/venue and any other artist needs. Be the liaison between the organization and all artist’s agents, management and staff.
- Manage the CMA staff and Board of Directors to create a positive concert experience including patron hospitality, vendor relations, artist management, facility management, etc.
- Prepare annual budget, monthly invoices and reconcile all bills and accounts.
- Prepare financial information to be presented to CMA accountant for monthly financial reports.
- Hire, supervise and conduct an annual review of all staff including the CMA managed Belin Quartet and Interns. Contract outside vendors, as needed and approved by the board, for special projects, events, etc.
Fundraising, Marketing & Communications:
- Research and prepare all grants for the organization.
- Work with the CMA Development committee to develop annual individual donation campaigns and effectively execute all campaigns.
- Solicit new donors.
- Create relationships with corporate contacts to secure funding.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
- Submit proposals to foundations for annual funding.
- Oversee the annual marketing plan and assist staff in developing new audiences.
· Develop, maintain and support a strong Board of Directors; serve on each board committee and assist the Governance Committee with recruitment and orientation of board members.
· Prepare all materials in advance of Board Meetings and committee meetings and distribute to members in a timely manner.
· Effectively communicate with the board prior to meetings and prepare a monthly board report.
Planning & Other Duties:
- Develop relationships in the community to create potential partnerships and funding opportunities.
- Represent the organization regionally and nationally at conferences, meetings, etc.
- Work with Board of Directors to create effective organizational strategic plans and monitor the progress of the plan.
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to Civic Music Association’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience, in addition to experience in fundraising. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- College degree required.
- Experience and knowledge of concert programming, including managing artist contracts and communications.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, set and achieve strategic objectives, and develop and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Flexibility to work outside normal office hours at concerts and special events.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience based on the organization’s annual operating budget of $298,000.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to:
Civic Music Association Executive Director Search Committee
900 Mulberry Street, Suite 203
Des Moines, IA 50309
Applications can also be sent electronically to Debbie Martin, Marketing & Patron Services Manager at Debbie@wordpress-144545-417496.cloudwaysapps.com. Subject: Executive Director Search